Sunday 17 April 2016

Cork 1966

At my sister website Irish Chess History I have just posted an account of the Easter Rising Golden Jubilee Tournament, played 15-17 April 1966. In the Cork Examiner for 4 May 1966, its chess correspondent "The Knight" reported that the UCC Chess Club were working on a bulletin of the tournament. The original score sheets had been returned to the participants requesting they annotate the games. I have been unable to find any further reference in the Examiner about the progress of the project and it may well have withered on the vine. If anybody is aware that the bulletin did in fact see the light of day, I would be interested in any details about it.

In the absence of a possible 30 annotated games from the bulletin, I have found a number of game or part-game scores in two contemporary sources - J.J. Walsh's chess columns in the Irish Times and the ICU Newsletter. Four of those are included in my Irish Chess History piece and I give the links to playable versions of those four plus one more below:

No comments:

Post a Comment